Monday, January 20, 2014

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict...

The day is almost here!  Tomorrow will begin my first round of radiation treatment.  I have received many questions on how I feel about it.  Honestly, I am worrying about tomorrow, tomorrow.  I really don't know what to expect! Of course I am nervous, but who wouldn't be?!

This morning was a little hard for me.  While at SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) Rehab I work with Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy.  My left leg was just not functioning this morning so OT was difficult.  We practiced getting in and out of a bathtub, getting in and out of a car & trying to stand and separate a deck of cards at the same time.  I was having so much trouble being able to do the simple things I used to never think twice about.  I had a brief break between sessions so I came back to the room and relaxed.  At my PT session, we stretched my legs and did some muscle building exercises.  The question came, "Do you want to take some steps?"  As much as I wanted to say no I knew I had to push myself and on turn my bad morning around.  As I got out in the hallway, we got me up and with the walker and 2 breaks I was able to go about 20 feet!  After lunch I had visitors come and for my last OT session I knew I had to make up for my bad meeting.  With the motivation and encouragement surrounding me, I was able to stand the longest I had on my own, 5 minutes!  Jackie Eckenrod, thank you for reminding me " Just don't forget that it's only a bad day--not a bad life."  I wanted to make sure I finished my bad morning on a positive step for tomorrow!

As many as you know, I am an extremely picky eater.  I still have yet to eat a salad! Becoming sick has made me realize that a healthy lifestyle change is what I need to partake in.  I have been looking up smoothie recipes that will help boost my nutrients, immune system and keep me healthy while I undergo treatment.  If anyone has any tips/recipes for these it would be greatly appreciated!  I want to make sure I am taking care of my body.  I have lost just about all my muscle in my legs and while I am under treatment I want to ensure I am helping my body as much as possible.  I have a goal to be able to walk in and out of treatments!

 I can't even begin to describe the feelings I have running through me right now from the out pour of love and support I have been receiving.  Everyday my mind is blown.  Each thought and prayer is motivation for me to get better for all of you.  My heart is beyond touched.   I don't think you will fully understand how you have all impacted my life.  Even on my darkest nights, all your thoughts and prayers are my brightest stars.

"Worrying does not empty tomorrows troubles, it empties today of its strengths."
Mary Engelbrelt

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for keeping yourself positive and wanting to fight so hard. I think in hard situations ppl can tend to fall into the oh poor me attitude. I believe very much that its mind over matter and you are showing that as well so just keep fighting, it's going to pay off. I'm sure you know this when it comes to smoothies, but just in case you can mix spinach, carrots, and other veggies in with fruit and the tast of the veggies will be covered up by the fruit. I like spinach, orange, strawberry, banana smoothies made with the obvious and some yogurt(you can even freeze the banana & yogurt and add a little milk to the mix to make it more like a shake) hope I helped!! Take care and stay strong!! You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies are a great way to get a ton of nutrients into your system fast! It is easy to sneak in vegetables and still have a very sweet nutritious drink. I recently started drinking smoothies every day and I've felt an incredible difference with my overall health and energy and I hope my recipes can do the same for you! I post them on my blog almost every day just go to www.AbsolutelyAbbey.Wordpress.com and click on "eat" that is the category with all my smoothie recipes and if you ever have any questions please leave a comment on my posts or email me at abbeyway0811@gmail.com Stay strong! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly inspiring! I commend you for staying so positive through everything you've been dealt. Congratulations on your progress with OT/PT, and I will be thinking about you and sending you all the positive energy I can today! I do have a few smoothie recipes. I can send them to you on fb if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete